San Diego Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Some injuries are so severe that they lead to substantial or permanent impact to a person’s life. Not only do they incur a mountain of medical bills and long-term costs, they also affect the person’s ability to work, their quality of life, and their emotional wellness.
If you’ve suffered a catastrophic injury in California due to someone else’s actions, you may be entitled to compensation. However, it’s not at all easy to claim a fair reimbursement for the true extent of your losses. A lawyer’s help will be indispensable.
We at the Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to help you fight for the compensation you need and deserve. We are top-rated injury attorneys in the San Diego area, with successful experience in catastrophic injury cases. Consult with the Hamparyan Lawyers for free.
What is a Catastrophic Injury? Definition and Examples
There is no standard definition of “catastrophic injury” under California law, but in the legal industry, an injury could be considered catastrophic if it has any of the following qualities:
- Causes permanent disability or impairment
- Results in the loss of a body part
- Results in the loss of a bodily function (e.g. eyesight or hearing)
- Causes permanent disfigurement
- Results in substantial or lifetime costs
- Prevents the person from going back to work
- Significantly decreases the person’s quality of life.
Some examples of catastrophic injuries are:
- Severe traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury resulting in paralysis
- Amputation of a limb or disfigurement
- Severe burn injuries
- Significant scarring.
In some cases, catastrophic injuries ultimately lead to a person’s death. In such a case, a family member or dependent of the decedent may be able to pursue a wrongful death claim.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Car collisions, truck wrecks, and motorcycle crashes frequently result in extreme injuries. These can be even more severe if the accident involved high speeds, an intoxicated driver, or unprotected motorists (e.g. no seatbelt or no helmet).
Surgery mistakes, medication errors, and improper birth procedures are examples of medical malpractice. Note that in California, you have a limited time to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. Speak with a competent injury attorney as soon as you can.
Slip-and-Fall Accidents (Premises Liability)
If you slipped, tripped, or fell due to an unsafe condition on someone’s property, it may be a case of premises liability. The property owner may be liable to pay for your losses. Some slip-and-fall injuries can be catastrophic such as traumatic brain injury and spine injury.
Defective Product Accidents (Product Liability)
A malfunctioning device, expired medication, or unsafe toy can lead to severe injuries for unsuspecting consumers. The product manufacturer or distributor may be held liable for the injuries that their product caused.
Catastrophic accidents can occur while employees are on the job. Common examples include falling objects, fires and explosions, chemical spills, and cutting accidents. Some of the most accident-prone occupations are in manufacturing, agriculture, transportation, and construction.
Regardless of what caused your injury or who may be liable, it is wise to consult a personal injury attorney early on. California’s statute of limitations generally gives you two years to file a lawsuit, but certain circumstances could change that window. Your consultation with Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers is free, so you lose nothing just by speaking with us.
Compensation for Catastrophic Injury in California
The losses that result from a catastrophic injury can be far-reaching. You may be entitled to economic damages like medical bills, as well as non-economic damages like pain and suffering. Compensation may cover:
- Hospital bills
- Medication expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Prosthetics, mobility assistance, and other necessary devices
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental/emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent disability.
While California law recognizes economic and non-economic damages, it can be difficult to pursue a fair settlement that covers the full extent of your injury. You’ll likely be facing an insurance company that will try to undermine your losses, especially non-economic losses that are difficult to prove. Insurers also typically use “delay, deny, defend” tactics to minimize the settlement they have to pay.
To determine the real value of your case and to fight for your maximum compensation, get the help of an experienced attorney. The Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers have 20+ years of experience standing up to powerful insurance companies and negligent parties. Our fearless and skilled representation has led to high-value settlements for many of our clients.
Why You Need a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer from Hamparyan
A specialized and competent attorney is crucial for your catastrophic injury claim. It’s not as straightforward as just presenting your medical bills to the insurance company so they can reimburse you. You can expect the insurer to offer a much smaller settlement amount and make it challenging for you to negotiate. Sadly, many claimants who are not represented by an attorney end up settling for much less than they deserve.
The Hamparyan Injury Lawyers have a proven track record in catastrophic injury cases. In the two decades we’ve been handling personal injury, we have obtained favorable settlements for our clients’ catastrophic injuries, including amounts upwards of $1 million. Here are some reasons why our service has produced ideal outcomes for our clients:
- We know how to maximize your claim. We don’t just take into account your obvious losses. Whether you’re a parent whose children depend on your care, or an athlete whose physical fitness is paramount, we’ll examine the extensive impact of the injury on various aspects of your life.
- We have a network of experts to support you. In our decades of practice, we’ve built relationships with doctors, medical specialists, life planners, mental health professionals, and other experts who can bolster your claim. We’ll also get you in touch with physicians and therapists who can provide the care you need.
- We skillfully negotiate with insurers. It takes real-world experience to know how insurance negotiation really works. As we’ve been doing this for more than 20 years, we’re intimately familiar with the tactics that insurance adjusters use, and how to navigate them.
- We are trial-ready. Our head attorney Robert Hamparyan has been named 2008 Trial Lawyer of the Year, and our whole team is not afraid to go to court. Even if you’re only pursuing an insurance settlement, this is an advantage because insurance companies are more likely to take you seriously if your lawyer is trial-ready.
The Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers won’t charge you any lawyer fees until we’ve obtained compensation for you. You get excellent legal service without risking your hard-earned money.
Call Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers
When your injuries are severe and your losses are extensive, trust only the top-rated attorneys at Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers. We serve San Diego County and surrounding areas in California.
Your consultation with us is free. Call us at (619) 550-1355 today or contact us online.
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.