San Diego Motorhome Accident Attorney
Recreational vehicles (RVs) and motorhomes continue to be a popular choice for drivers in California and throughout the U.S.
Because these vehicles are so large, heavy, and fast, drivers often have difficulty controlling and stopping. To add to this, RV drivers and owners are not required to carry additional licensing like bus or truck drivers.
This lack of training and experience is often the direct cause of serious accidents.
If you’ve been in a motorhome accident, a San Diego motorhome accident lawyer can help you avoid the stress of pursuing your accident claim and enable you to focus on your recovery.
Common Causes of Motorhome Accidents
RV and motorhome accidents are fairly common. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, RV accidents cause approximately 75,000 injuries each year, and fatalities are estimated to average 212 people annually.
Motorhome injuries and fatalities are typically caused by the following:
- Bridge Collisions: The top of an RV may collide with the bottom of a low and unmarked bridge. This can destroy the vehicle.
- Rollovers: Rollover crashes are common in bigger vehicles like RVs. It is possible for an RV to roll over during collisions or when maneuvering sharp turns due to its height.
- Mechanical Problems: Defects or failures in the RV’s machinery can cause drivers to run into hazards or lose control of the vehicle.
- Blowout Accidents: Blowouts happen when the driver fails to check the tire pressure before using the vehicle. One of the tires on the RV may unexpectedly blow out in the middle of the road, causing collisions.
- Rear-End Collisions: Due to their size and weight, RVs often have issues with stopping or slowing down. At high speeds, this can be dangerous as the RV can plow into the back of another vehicle.
Many RV drivers are unaware of how destructive their massive vehicles can be during a crash or a collision.
RV / Motorhome Accident Injuries
Due to the size and weight of motorhomes, injuries can be more catastrophic and severe. They can lead to long-term, and even permanent, changes for the accident victim.
Below are some of the common injuries that RV accident victims suffer:
- Broken bones
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Burn injuries
Filing an insurance claim after a motorhome accident can get complicated. It’s best for anyone involved in a motorhome accident to work with a lawyer who can help them fight for the compensation or settlement that they deserve.
What to Do After an Accident with a Motorhome or RV
Any driver involved in a motorhome accident should take these steps:
- Call 911 and wait for the first responders to arrive. Afterward, they should also seek immediate medical care for themselves and their passengers on site.
- If the driver chooses to leave under their power instead of getting taken to an emergency room, they should book an appointment with their primary care physician as soon as possible. This won’t just allow them to obtain medical care, but also provide a record of their injuries.
- Document the accident by taking photos or videos or writing down an account of the events leading to and following the incident. It might be difficult to think about doing this, especially after losing a loved one or sustaining injuries, but this is an important part of the claims process.
- If their injuries are extensive, or if there’s considerable damage, or if the insurance company denies their claim, hire an attorney who can work with them every step of the way to get the compensation they’re entitled to.
As much as possible, injured victims should refrain from speaking to insurance agents without consulting a lawyer.
Keep in mind that the goal of insurance companies is to pay as little compensation as possible. They may use whatever is said to them to reduce the amount of compensation or deny the claim altogether.
Even innocent slip-ups can be potentially damaging when it’s time to negotiate a settlement.
Contact a top San Diego RV Accident Attorney Today
Recreational vehicles and motorhomes are a common sight in California, especially as retirement travel and remote working are growing in popularity.
However, they can also cause serious injury and massive damage to their size and lack of maneuverability.
If you or your loved one is involved in accidents involving motorhomes, contact an attorney as soon as you can.
The attorneys at Hamparyan Law are well-versed in these types of accident claims. They can help you navigate insurance claims and help you get proper compensation.
Contact us now at (619) 550-1355 to schedule a free case review.
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.