San Diego Side-Impact Collision Attorney
Side-impact collisions (also known as broadside or T-bone collisions) occur when a vehicle hits the side of another at a 90-degree angle. This type of collision often leads to considerable damage and severe injuries. This is because most cars are not built to absorb collisions from the side. The flanks don’t have a lot of metal and material to protect the occupants of the car from the impact of the crash.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a broadside collision, make sure that your rights and interests are protected. You also want to be certain that the at-fault party will be held responsible for their actions.
A good San Diego injury lawyer can help you determine your legal options, make sure that you receive the compensation you’re entitled to, and represent your interests so you can focus on your recovery.
Cause of Side-Impact Collisions
This type of road accident is commonly seen in multi-lane highways and intersections. They can happen for a number of reasons, including the following:
- Speeding: When a car is going past the speed limit, it won’t have enough opportunity to slow down to prevent an accident from occurring. Speed also contributes to how severe the damage will be when there’s a collision.
- Driving Under the Influence: When a driver is under the influence of a drug or alcohol, they’re more prone to making irresponsible and negligent choices on the road. Their vision may also be impaired, and their reaction times delayed.
- Failure to Yield: While on the road, drivers have to observe certain rules. For instance, they may have to yield to other motorists and give them the right of way, particularly when they’re at a yellow or red light. Failure to yield is one of the top causes of side-impact collisions as many drivers seem to think that they always have the right of way.
- Running a Red Light: Another common cause of a T-bone accident is when a driver runs a red light. Injuries and vehicle damage can be quite severe, depending on how fast the erring driver was going.
- Distracted Driving: A driver’s failure to give sufficient attention to the road, such as when they’re texting, eating, or talking to a passenger, can prevent them from seeing vehicles that are coming from their side.
Common Injuries from Side-Impact Collisions
One common misconception is that airbags will protect drivers and passengers from t-bone collisions. This isn’t necessarily true. Airbags won’t help if the offending vehicle intrudes into the car. They also won’t help if the offending vehicle is traveling at such a high speed. Even with airbags, side-impact collisions can still result in severe, and sometimes fatal, injuries.
Here are some of the common injuries that people who are involved in side-impact collisions sustain:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is essentially neck strain after the neck undergoes a rapid and forceful back-and-forth motion. This is a relatively minor injury, and it often heals after a few weeks. Nonetheless, it’s still crucial to seek medical assistance immediately after a side-impact collision to make sure that the pain is not a symptom of a much more severe injury.
- Fractures: Fractures occur when the bone breaks. If there are signs of a fracture, the person involved should immediately seek medical care. In severe cases, a surgery might be needed to correct the issue.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries may require substantial medical intervention. Some of them may lead to permanent damage, while others may take long-term rehabilitation to address
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: TBI can range from mild to severe. They may also lead to long-term medical problems, and even death. Immediate medical attention is necessary to determine the extent of the injury.
- Internal Organ Damage: Car accidents like side-impact collisions also often lead to injuries to the internal organs. These include broken ribs, a ruptured abdominal aorta, a ruptured spleen, or kidney and bowel damage.
- Loss of Limbs: In severe cases, injuries may require the amputation of the limbs. Accident victims may require prosthetics to perform their daily activities.
These injuries can lead to expensive treatment and rehabilitation. Victims may be entitled to damages that they can use to pay for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future treatments.
Schedule Your Consultation Now
Getting involved in a side-impact collision can be devastating. They’re one of the most dangerous types of crashes to be, especially because the risk of severe injury is so much higher.
If you or a loved one has been through a side-impact collision in San Diego, you need to find a capable and experienced lawyer who can aggressively fight for your rights. Our team at Hamparyan offers top-notch legal services. We’ll help make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Call us now at (619) 550-1355 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.