Unsafe Lane Change Accidents in San Diego
Each year, thousands of vehicle accidents on California highways and streets result from unsafe lane changes.
Moving into another lane without signaling other motorists of your intentions is a moving violation. Changing lanes neglectfully or unsafely can put the at-fault driver liable for a resulting vehicle collision.
An experienced accident attorney can help you understand the nuances of your case, file your claim, and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve. At Hamparyan, our team of lawyers has the knowledge and experience to help you.
Common Causes of Unsafe Lane Changes Accidents
Drivers who unexpectedly swerve into a lane will likely collide with another vehicle occupying that lane or create a hazardous situation for other motorists.
Unsafe lane change accidents can occur in numerous ways, including:
Two vehicles driving parallel, and one incorrectly makes the lane change
- A driver incorrectly changes lanes, causing a rear-end accident from the car behind it
- The vehicle unintentionally veers into the adjacent lane
- An illegal turn made at an intersection with the at-fault vehicle crossing through another lane
- Two vehicles making a left or right turn, and one vehicle gets into the wrong lane
- Failure to make a proper lane change signal
Negligent Driving and Unsafe Lane Change Accidents
Negligent driving behaviors are usually the cause of unsafe lane change accidents.
Some examples of careless driving behavior include:
- Failure to make a turn signal before changing lanes or turning
- Incorrectly judging a fast-approaching vehicle’s speed in the next lane
- Failure to check blind spots before a lane change
- Failure to notice a vehicle in the next lane
- Two vehicles trying to move into the middle lane between them at the same time
- Driver negligently cuts in front of another vehicle
- Changing lanes at intersections
- Driving while drowsy and fatigued
- Driving aggressively
- Texting while driving
In some cases, a motorist attempting to avoid a crash when another vehicle makes an improper lane change may veer left and collide with a third vehicle.
Unsafe Lane Change Accidents Involving Motorcycles
Unsafe lane change accidents involving motorcycles may be particularly life-threatening.
Motorbike accidents are unique since they are typically much lighter and less stable than cars. Even small hazards can cause motorcycle accidents.
Unsafe lane changes are especially dangerous here because they create further risk; an unsafe lane change plus a small hazard or poor road conditions can cause a disastrous crash for a motorcycle.
Motorcyclists have little protection against vehicular crashes. Unfortunately, many motorists make bad judgments and switch lanes incorrectly, putting motorcyclists occupying those lanes in extreme danger.
Common Types of Injuries Resulting from Motorcycle Accidents
Some of the most common injuries associated with unsafe lane change accidents on motorcycles include:
- Road rash
- Cuts and bruises
- Facial wounds
- Facial fractures
- Burn injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ failure
- Brain hemorrhage
- Traumatic brain injury
Seek medical attention immediately if you have suffered any of these injuries. Your safety is by far the most important priority.
We can help you with your motorcycle accident lawsuit claim.
Who is Liable in Unsafe Lane Change Accidents?
The party who made the unsafe lane change is almost always responsible for the auto accident. That party is liable even if they had to change lanes to avoid another accident.
A lawyer is essential for establishing liability in such complex cases.
How to Avoid Unsafe Lane Change Accidents
- Signal your intention to change lanes by using your blinkers or turn signals.
- Only change lanes around dashed lines. Do not change lanes where they are divided by solid lines.
- Do not cut anyone off while you change lanes.
- Wait until you’re past the lights before changing lanes.
- Change lanes one at a time.
- Avoid increasing your speed during lane changes.
- Do not change lanes in an intersection or right before one.
However, sometimes negligence can be difficult to prove.
Statute of Limitations for Filing an Accident Claim in California
Car insurance claims usually do not end in a fair settlement. The injured person must then seek court intervention to receive compensation for any damages rather than negotiate with an insurance company offering the lowest payout it can.
There is, however, a statute of limitations that restricts the time period a person has to file a lawsuit. In California, a person injured in an unsafe lane change accident usually has two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit.
Contact a San Diego Unsafe Lane Change Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in an unsafe lane change accident, an experienced accident attorney at our firm can help with your case. We know your rights, the law, and can get you the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Call Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego at (619) 550-1355 or email us about your case for a free consultation.
Robert Hamparyan is one of California’s most accomplished personal injury lawyers. Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego was founded so that Robert could bring more of his skill and knowledge to personal injury victims in all types of cases. Robert and his team have dealt with semi truck accidents, wrongful death cases, brain & spine injuries, and many other types of personal injury cases with soaring success.
Recent Blog Posts
- California Car Accident Fault Determination
- GEICO Accident Injury Claim Process and Warnings
- How Long Should I Watch for Injuries After a Car Accident?
- Farmers Insurance Car Accident Injury Claims Process and Tips
- Tesla Autopilot Accident Statistics and Other Driver-Assist/Autonomous Driving Technology Crash Data Released
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.
San Diego Office
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
275 W Market St #1000
San Diego, CA 92101
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
2221 Las Palmas Dr, Suite H
Carlsbad, CA 92011