Surprising Statistics About Dog Bites in San Diego County
There are an estimated 90 million dogs living in over 40,000,000 households in the U.S. In San Diego County alone, there are around half a million dogs. According to experts, the high incidence of dog ownership in the area is largely due to the city’s proximity to nature and the easy accessibility of dog parks and dog-friendly establishments.
Dog bite prevention hinges on the owner. Dog owners are the ones who are responsible for observing leash laws and other legal measures designed to prevent dog attacks and keep people safe. How a dog owner trains or treats their dog will determine the latter’s personality. If the dog owner abuses their pet or encourages or rewards aggressive behavior, the dog is more likely to attack or bite people.
Dog Bite Statistics in San Diego
Dog bites are undeniably a significant problem in San Diego, California. We’ve compiled the statistics below to help you better understand unsafe dog behavior.
State Farm Insurance has revealed alarming new figures indicating a significant spike in dog bites in 2020, particularly in California.
- Canine attacks injure around 4.7 million individuals in the United States each year. 800,000 of these attacks are severe enough to send victims to the hospital for medical treatment. In San Diego County, the Department of Animal Services states that it gets around 6,000 reports of dog attacks each year, demonstrating that there are significant risks involved when you live in a dog-friendly city.
- According to Kristin Francy of State Farm Insurance in San Diego, California has the highest incidence of dog bite injuries. In 2020, there were over 400 bites documented, with $26 million in claims paid out to victims.
- According to Dogsbite.org, San Diego County was responsible for 75% of all dog attacks in California in 2012. Postal employees in the city are most vulnerable to dog attacks. According to Fox 5, San Diego is among the top 10 cities with the most postal worker dog injuries.
- According to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), over 5,800 mail carriers in San Diego have been bitten by dogs in 2020.
- The pit bull and Rottweiler are said to be the most dangerous breeds.
For example, a pit bull severely injured a postman delivering mail in Golden Hill. The dog had forced its way through a gate and attacked the postman before being restrained. The dog inflicted serious bite injuries to the postal worker’s neck and leg and knocked out several of his teeth. The mailman claimed that the strap for his mailbag, which covered his neck and chest, saved his life.
Dog Breeds Involved in Fatal Attacks
The Most Dangerous Dog Breeds
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the following 10 breeds are the ones that bite more frequently :
- Pit Bulls
- German Shepherds
- Alaskan Malamutes
- Doberman Pinschers
- Chow Chows
- Great Danes
- St. Bernards
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 25 dog breeds have been behind dog bite-related deaths throughout the last two decades. Rottweilers or pit bulls caused more than half of the recorded deaths. One of the most effective strategies to protect your family from dog attacks is to use care when selecting a family pet.
Injured in a Dog Attack? Call Us Now
If you or a loved one has been injured by a dangerous dog, expenses can pile up fast. Lost wages, hospital bills, and medication can quickly get the best of you. The sooner you contact our San Diego County dog bite lawyers, the sooner you can focus your energy on your physical and emotional recovery. With a qualified and experienced San Diego dog bite lawyer by your side, you can get the proper compensation you deserve.
At Hamparyan Law, our team has helped countless clients hold dog owners responsible for the actions of their pets. Contact us today at (619) 550-1355, or use our online contact form to schedule a free and confidential consultation. We’ll help you get on the right path to justice.
Robert Hamparyan is one of California’s most accomplished personal injury lawyers. Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego was founded so that Robert could bring more of his skill and knowledge to personal injury victims in all types of cases. Robert and his team have dealt with semi truck accidents, wrongful death cases, brain & spine injuries, and many other types of personal injury cases with soaring success.
Recent Blog Posts
- California Car Accident Fault Determination
- GEICO Accident Injury Claim Process and Warnings
- How Long Should I Watch for Injuries After a Car Accident?
- Farmers Insurance Car Accident Injury Claims Process and Tips
- Tesla Autopilot Accident Statistics and Other Driver-Assist/Autonomous Driving Technology Crash Data Released
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.
San Diego Office
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
275 W Market St #1000
San Diego, CA 92101
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
2221 Las Palmas Dr, Suite H
Carlsbad, CA 92011