Farmers Insurance Car Accident Injury Claims Process and Tips
Farmers Insurance is one of the biggest auto insurance providers in the US, with $10 billion in written premiums as of 2022. In California, it’s among the three largest auto insurance companies in terms of market share, which makes it likely that you or other drivers around you have a Farmers Insurance policy. But while this insurance company is familiar to motorists, car accident victims often find it extremely difficult to claim fair compensation from them.
Here’s what you need to know if you’re making a car accident injury claim against Farmers Insurance in California. If you need legal help specific to your case, please contact a trusted personal injury attorney.
How to Make an Injury Claim with Farmers Insurance: The Claims Process
If you were injured in a vehicle collision in California, you may claim compensation from the at-fault driver’s auto insurance provider. The following are the basic steps in the Farmers Insurance auto accident claims process. Before you start this process, be sure to read our important tips further below.
- Step 1: Contact. If Farmers has been notified of the accident, one of their insurance adjusters or claims representatives may call you soon after the crash. If not, you may contact them yourself to initiate the claim via phone call, online form, or mobile app. Provide an objective description of how the crash happened and evidence of your losses.
- Step 2: Evaluation. The claims adjuster will assess whether Farmers Insurance covers your losses, and how much they’re paying. Generally, the adjuster will want to close the claim quickly, so they will soon get back to you with an initial settlement offer.
- Step 3: Negotiation. Initial settlement offers are usually much lower than the claimant deserves. You or your attorney may respond with a counter estimate of your compensable losses, with strong evidence to support your claim.
- Step 4. Settlement. After negotiations, if you get a settlement offer that you believe is fair, you may accept the offer and the insurance company will close the claim.
Though this process seems straightforward on paper, real-world insurance claims are rarely easy. Claimants usually find it difficult to assert the compensation they need and deserve, as insurance adjusters are equipped with tactics that downplay injury claims.
Claims Adjuster Tactics to Watch Out For
Many insurance companies have gained a bad reputation of putting their profits first at the expense of claimants. In fact, the American Association of Justice (AAJ) published a report titled “The Ten Worst Insurance Companies in America – How They Raise Premiums, Deny Claims and Refuse Insurance to Those Who Need It Most.” One of the “Ten Worst” according to the AAJ was Farmers Insurance.
When pursuing your accident injury claim, be aware of these tactics that the claims adjuster may use to minimize the amount they’ll pay you:
- Getting a recorded statement from you that they can later use against you
- Challenging liability or fault in the accident
- Lowballing, or offering a settlement far less than you deserve
- Asking for more and more paperwork
- Delaying the process for vague reasons in hopes you’d settle for a small amount
- Asserting that the crash was not an accident but intentional road rage
- Denying your claim without investigation.
If you experience unreasonable delays or unexplained rejection of your injury claim, talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. It may be a negotiating tactic that your attorney can counter, or it can potentially be a case of bad faith insurance, for which you can also take legal action.
Tips to Protect Your Accident Injury Insurance Claim
- Seek medical attention immediately. Even if your injuries seem negligible, they could later turn out to be more severe. Don’t delay going to the doctor, and don’t miss any subsequent appointments. If you delay, the insurer could claim that your injuries aren’t as serious as you claim.
- Gather evidence as early as you can. At the accident scene, take photos and videos of the site, your visible injuries, the damage on your car, and other relevant details. Also keep any medical documents, bills, and receipts associated with your accident.
- Report the accident to the police. California motorists are required to report crashes that result in injuries. But more than that, the police crash report can help establish how the collision happened. Request a copy of the crash report once you’re done.
- Contact a lawyer. Before speaking with any insurance representative, get the guidance of a personal injury attorney. An experienced lawyer can protect you from costly mistakes and help you find your best next steps to get maximum compensation. Even if you’re only pursuing an insurance claim and not thinking about lawsuits, having an attorney gives you much better negotiating power, especially when faced with experienced claims adjusters.
Contact a Farmers Insurance Injury Claims Attorney in San Diego County
One of California’s most successful accident law firms is Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers. The attorneys at our firm are tenacious when standing up to major insurance companies such as Farmers Insurance. We combine this fearlessness with 20+ years of experience and skill in the field of personal injury. This is how we’ve obtained over $100 million on behalf of Californians who were injured in car accidents.
Talk to us about your Farmers Insurance injury claim. Your consultation with us is free, and you won’t have to pay us lawyer fees until we obtain compensation for you. Call us today at (619) 550-1355.
Robert Hamparyan is one of California’s most accomplished personal injury lawyers. Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego was founded so that Robert could bring more of his skill and knowledge to personal injury victims in all types of cases. Robert and his team have dealt with semi truck accidents, wrongful death cases, brain & spine injuries, and many other types of personal injury cases with soaring success.
Recent Blog Posts
- Is Lane-Splitting Legal for San Diego Motorcycles?
- What Percentage Do Personal Injury Lawyers Take in California?
- What to Say (and Not Say) To an Insurance Claim Adjuster After a Car Accident with Injury
- Third-Party Auto Insurance Claims in California: What You Need to Know
- City of San Diego Number of Car Accidents by Car Accident Type from 2017 to 2022
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.
San Diego Office
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
275 W Market St #1000
San Diego, CA 92101
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
2221 Las Palmas Dr, Suite H
Carlsbad, CA 92011