Most Dangerous Roads in San Diego County for Car and Truck Accidents
Numerous people get injured or killed in San Diego County vehicle crashes. In fact, between 2008 and 2018, some 868 people died on our highways, according to a 10-year review.
Sadly, one of the most common causes of these accidents is irresponsible driving. Studies have found that California drivers are the most aggressive in the nation, frequently engaging in dangerous activities on the road such as speeding and tailgating.
It also doesn’t help that roads in the San Diego metro area are in need of repairs or improvements. As of 2020, 44 percent of the city’s streets are in poor condition, making it the 8th city in the US with the worst roads.
Some highways and intersections in San Diego County are noticeably more accident-prone than others. Car drivers, truckers, and pedestrians will want to be aware of these sites where more caution may be needed.
San Diego County’s Deadliest Roads
According to a 10-year review, these are the roads in San Diego County with the most number of accident fatalities from 2008 to 2018:
Interstate 5 — 181 deaths in San Diego County
- Known locally as “The 5, ”I-5 is a major highway that carries more than a million drivers every single day, including truckers who travel long miles across states. The interstate runs the entire length of California and is ranked as the 11th most dangerous highway in the US (as of 2021).
Interstate 8 — 120 deaths in San Diego County
- The San Diego segment of this interstate is rife with busy intersections and uneven lanes. On top of those, some sections of this east-west highway occasionally have to be shut down due to natural hazards such as snowstorms (in mountainous areas) and spot fires.
Interstate 15 — 118 deaths in San Diego County
- Also among the most dangerous highways in America, I-15 has more than its fair share of terrible traffic and drunk drivers. In addition, certain sections of this highway run perfectly straight across desert landscapes, enticing drivers to speed and get reckless.
Interstate 805 — 77 deaths in San Diego County
- Recent road projects have contributed to more traffic jams and closures on this highway. On some segments, natural hazards like brush fires also spill over to the street, posing danger to motorists.
State Route 76 — 74 deaths in San Diego County
- This is another highway that has had increased public works in recent years. It also gets affected by vegetation fires that spread quickly due to Santa Ana winds.
It is vital to observe safety when traveling on these dangerous roads and intersections.
However, if someone else’s negligence led to your injury or to a loved one’s wrongful death, talk to an attorney to see how you could claim compensation.
San Diego County’s Most Dangerous Intersections for Pedestrians
A separate six-year study looked at San Diego County accidents that injured or killed pedestrians. It found that these are the most dangerous intersections for pedestrians in the county:
- University Ave. & First Ave. in Hillcrest — 20 crashes (6 injuries, 0 fatalities)
- Valley Pkway. & Midway Drive-in Escondido — 13 crashes (13 injuries, 2 fatalities)
- Linda Vista Rd. & Ulric St. in Linda Vista — 13 crashes (13 injuries, 1 fatality)
- 4th Ave. & C St. in Chula Vista — 9 crashes (10 injuries, 2 fatalities)
- Federal Blvd. & Euclid Ave. in Oak Park — 11 crashes (12 injuries, 0 fatalities).
Several factors make intersections particularly risky for commuters. Many intersections in San Diego are notoriously busy with heavy traffic, making collisions almost inevitable. Some corners are also perilous because of their blind turns and lack of adequate signage or lighting.
Above all, many drivers are unfortunately guilty of improper turning, speeding at intersections, failing to yield, and failing to use signal lights. These driving offenses are forms of negligence that may entitle you to compensation if you were injured by the driver.
Consult With a Top Injury Attorney in San Diego County
The Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers are highly trusted by Southern California residents for their competent and compassionate legal service.
Founding attorney Robert Hamparyan has been rated No. 1 among San Diego’s personal injury lawyers, leading the firm to become one of California’s most active and most successful.
For a free consultation, call (619) 550-1355 or use our online contact form.
Robert Hamparyan is one of California’s most accomplished personal injury lawyers. Hamparyan Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego was founded so that Robert could bring more of his skill and knowledge to personal injury victims in all types of cases. Robert and his team have dealt with semi truck accidents, wrongful death cases, brain & spine injuries, and many other types of personal injury cases with soaring success.
Recent Blog Posts
- Is Lane-Splitting Legal for San Diego Motorcycles?
- What Percentage Do Personal Injury Lawyers Take in California?
- What to Say (and Not Say) To an Insurance Claim Adjuster After a Car Accident with Injury
- Third-Party Auto Insurance Claims in California: What You Need to Know
- City of San Diego Number of Car Accidents by Car Accident Type from 2017 to 2022
I’m with you every step of the way.
Schedule Your Free Case Consultation
We’ll Come To You
Our attorney will travel to your home, or hospital, at your convenience and request.
Call Us Anytime
We are available to discuss your case anytime. Give us a call at (619) 550-1355.
Completely Free Consultation
Meeting and/or discussing your case with our attorney is completely free.
San Diego Office
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
275 W Market St #1000
San Diego, CA 92101
Hamparyan Personal Injury
Lawyers San Diego, APC
2221 Las Palmas Dr, Suite H
Carlsbad, CA 92011